From: angie irvin
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 20:30:08 -0700 (PDT)
To: Allison Godwin
Subject: Allison, are you sure
you are not adopted from some Hispanic family????? This afternoon, Riley and I were in Publix. We had a very short shopping list, we had not been there long. We were looking for grits. As we "whooshed" (Thomas Talk) down the cereal aisle, we passed two lovely long-haired brunette young ladies in tank tops, sunglasses and cute skirts - they were in deep conversation and it was obvious they were speaking Spanish. Riley began saying "Momma" slowly at first and then more and more rapidly and more loudly, then became agitated. I had already turned around to see what he had noticed and they were the only humans in sight. Finally, he was so agitated that I spun the cart around and began chasing down the poor unsuspecting young ladies so that he would see that his mother had not breezed past him and left his plea unanswered. I cut them off before they could make it to the check out line and we interrupted their intense conversation. "Excuse me ladies... I'm sorry but my grandson seems to believe that one of you is his mother." Then I realized how crazy (accusatory) that may have sounded to them. So, I said "you both look a lot like my daughter" and they visibly relaxed. I guess they then realized that I was not too much of a nut case. Riley continued to loudly chant "Momma, Momma. Momma." And he had long before begun to get tearful. The young ladies jerked off their sunglasses. It made me so sad for him, as he looked at them and looked so confused. It dawned on me that someone might call security and have me checked out as some child predator - kidnapper, so I apologized for the intrusion, thanked them and skeedaddled quickly with many apologies to the young ladies who just stood there staring, amazed that this little fellow continued to call out to them "Momma!" I detoured into the toy aisle and found the dinosaur figures I had spotted on a previous trip when I purchased the safari animal figures. He was a happy camper after that! You never know what will happen to you in the grocery store! I'm very appreciative that I had a very short list! Coy - does this incident make you reminiscent of the Art Linkletter show "Kids Say the Darnedest Things!" I bet Riley would have been their youngest guest!
No comments:
Post a Comment